Monday, October 7, 2013

Prompt #1

Write a short scene in which one character reduces another to uncontrollable sobs without touching him or speaking.

People had always called me weird when I was a child. They kept giving me sidewards glances whispering to each other 'Look, there's that kid who tried skinning Mrs. Jankis' cat.' Do you know how frustrating it was, to hear that all at the age of 6? Just got into kindergarten, just stopped sucking my thumb a week before? To hear such inaccurate stories? People need to learn the facts before spreading rumours. I totally skinned that cat. Alive, too. Gosh.

Then at 12 I realised that no, hurting animals just won't do it. Even the sound of their whimpers, seemingly begging for me to stop, looking at me with puppy dog eyes, -in which case, at most times where actual puppy eyes- won't bring me the sadistic pleasure I seek. I discovered my fetish when I pushed this little girl in pink off the swing. She scraped her knees and then cried like I just stomped on  her face. I wanted too, in fact. But then I saw her tears, falling down her reddened cheeks, the sound of her uncontrollable sobs, her wailing, the snot dripping down from her cute button nose. I loved that. The fact that I scarred her not physically, but emotionally. You can plaster a band-aid on a cut, but wounds that travels directly to a person's soul is much harder to heal. Trauma by torture? Nah, too much effort. 

So there we were, 20 years later. She sat there strapped on the chair, eyes big and glistening with the fearful tears, terrified of what would happen next. I whispered to her 'Shhh, it'll all be over soon. I just want to see you break down and cry like your mother just died.' 

And then I put on Grave of the Fireflies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment